sunflower

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Delightful Dozen



Brett was the most precious baby. He was sweet, mild tempered and absolutely adorable. As he got older I was amazed at everything he did. Every new milestone was something special. He was my first born and a true joy.

Tomorrow Brett turns twelve years old. TWELVE years old! It seems like just yesterday I was walking him into his preschool class for the very first time. He was quite shy and didn't want me to leave, but by the end of the day I remember seeing the biggest smile flash across his face. The "I did it, Mom" kind, the kind that melts your heart.
Over the years he's grown into such an amazing young man. Brett excels in school. He is such a hard worker, really soaking up everything he can. He's responsible, respectful and has a true heart of gold. Brett is really a super big brother...helping out when needed, putting together toys, puzzles and always ready to snuggle with his littlest sister. The two of them have something really special.

Brett has recorded many accomplishments and special events this last year. He competed in the Spelling Bee at school last spring and made it into the finals. I believe the word he missed was 'Psychoanalysis.' (Did I spell it right? ...I would have been out too;) He was the leading scorer on his soccer team this last fall and most recently competed in the Geography Bee and made it to the final six out of twenty-two. He's very interested in Geography and History and loves Math.
Last year he started playing the oboe and acquired a saxophone over the summer and made the switch this fall and loves it. Brett's involved in the boys choir at church and attends Cadets a couple times a month. I would say he's a pretty busy kid but he wouldn't have it any other way. One of the highlights of this year for him was getting to attend a party with the Stanley Cup. His Grandpa was able to take a turn having the Stanley Cup for a day so they made a whole day of it. Lucky kid, eh?

Well, as I look back over the last 12 years I can't help but get a little sad that my "little" boy will become a teenager next year. I'm certainly not ready for that! I am SO proud to be the mother of such a wonderfully kind, patient, handsome, intelligent young man. I'm also thankful to God for protecting him along the way. I know that he is who he is today certainly not do to me. I may have had a hand in it, but the Lord has been his guide, protector and Savior and there's no better feeling than know that today he is walking with the Lord and has his own relationship with Him.

What a delightful dozen years this has been raising our sweet Brett Michael. I know the future is full of promise and many blessings for him. We are so blessed to have Brett for a son and promise to continually point him to Christ so he can reflect Him in all he does. What a heart for service Brett already has, often giving to those who have very little because even as a child he understands what it means to be the light of Christ to others. We sometimes can learn much from our own children.

Happy Birthday, Kiddo! You are a true delight and joy and we love you!

No comments: