sunflower

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The 4th

I still remember my 4th of Julys as a little girl. We lived in Brookfield right by the Zoo. I grew up on Grand Boulevard and every year the 4th of July parade would come right down our street. We would have all of our extended family over and make a whole day of it.
When I got old enough my parents helped me organize a "lemonade stand" if you will. I sold pop, lemonade and freeze pops. I remember making about $20 once and I thought I'd won the lottery! What amazing memories I have of family and the fourth. Each year I dream and wish for it to be July and now when it actually rolls around I can't believe it arrived so soon!


For the past eight years we have changed venues and began attending the Hinsdale parade with the Laslos'. And, every year we dress all the kids up in their festive gear and make a day of it too. This year Mackenzie landed herself on the front page of the Hinsdalean newspaper. She was a stitch to watch run all around the streets without a care in the world. She watched in awe of all the busyness and somehow fell asleep during sirens and cannon shots. What a doll.


The older kids always have a blast catching candy and waving & interacting with all the parade goers and participators. The last couple of years my parents have attended as well and I think it's even a little more fun to watch the kids watching the parade. What joy & excitement they have for such simple things. It can make any heart happy to see such enjoyment.


We ended our wonderful 4 of July weekend with some of our friends and a BBQ. There's just something so wonderful about summer and I sometimes wish we could just press pause button it.

No comments: