sunflower

Monday, October 19, 2009

Keeping Up Appearences

It always feels great to put on a new outfit. When I was little there was nothing better than getting a new outfit for my birthday or Christmas and wearing it to school for the first time. New shoes were even better! I think since I was able to walk I have always had a slight obsession with shoes. I am not proud of this, but here's a little story to illustrate...

In second grade at the end of the year when everyone was packing up the room to begin summer vacation, I got an idea. I told some of my friends that I was collecting shoes for the homeless. So, I actually got 3 of them to give me their gym shoes (the ones we kept in the classroom.) I proudly took them home and hid them in my room and would wear them whenever I got a chance. My favorite was a pair of red, high-top, Converse All Stars. They were way too big for me but I still loved them. To this day I still can't believe I had done something so awful.

I still love shoes, but have taken the purchasing route instead of theft. I don't even buy myself new shoes that often because I get to buy shoes for 6 other people now. I am amazed at how many shoes we have in this house. I have to clean out our coat closet a couple times a year because we accumulate so many shoes in there. The kids closets also start overflowing during certain points in a season. I have become pretty good at a great system I have though. Every year at Brett's school there is a children's clothing resale in the fall & spring. I can outfit almost every one of my kids for that season for next to nothing. All I do is sell the clothes that they have outgrown and most times even get some money back!

It's always nice when someone comments on your new outfit. The feeling is great. The kids get lots of comments on certain things they are wearing too. At times I almost feel a little uncomfortable. People will say something about how they always look so cute or put together and how we must go broke buying them all such nice things. They don't really mean it, but at the same time I feel slightly guilty. I wish I could explain that rarely do the kids wear something "new" from a store. I wish they could understand without having me tell them I find all the expensive brand name things at the resale...that I let someone else buy them full price.

In a way I really feel embarrassed. I don't want others to think I am out looking for the best or spending all our money on clothing and shoes. It simply isn't the case. In a world where society is constantly telling us (and our children) that we need the best, newest, most expensive things, I find it a little sick. I am not saying that we don't buy new things or nice things, but I don't think we are a family that is out to impress.

I do like my children to look nice. I love matching outfits, big colorful bows for the girls and polos on little boys. I don't dress them that way so they look perfectly put together. I do it because I feel like when you look your best you show you care. I do understand that some people can't always put on something that doesn't have holes, stains or even something that fits properly. I love seeing people buy our clothes at the sales, knowing that someone else can use the things that we've outgrown. It's really quite amazing the things and quantities that people buy at the sale. This year at the resale i actually saw a family fill an entire shopping cart overflowing and they only spent around $150!

I can only hope and pray that none of my kids is a kleptomaniac like I was.

No comments: