As I sat near him watching him draw (and erase;) it made me think about how important it is to encourage these talents and gifts in each of my children. As a young girl I was very hard on myself. I felt things need to be perfect when complete. No matter what I was doing; drawing, painting, or even my hair needed to look like a perfect piece of art. Thankfully, my family was always there to encourage me and help me get past my obscure visions.
As my children get older I am so excited to see each of their interests (and sometimes obsessions) change and grow. Madison seems to be our next little artist. She is only 4 but can draw almost anything she sees and it looks pretty recognizable. Noah can figure out almost anything if it comes with picture instructions. He loves to get a new building set and go through all the possibilities of a new structure. These days Dylan, who just turned 3, is surprising me with his memorization and his close attention to detail. he reminds me SO much of Brett when he was little. Dylan's memory is really amazing. Just the other day he surprised me when he told me he remembered a verse he learned last year at church...and he really did!
It's SO so so so important to let them know when they are doing a great job at something. Even at this early age of 3 and 4 they are already telling me "no I'm not... or It's not good..." and I want them to not be discouraged but keep trying.
I have a letter that my grandma wrote to me back in April 1993. It was a letter I received when she passed away in 1996. I was 13 at the time she wrote the letter. A little of it read:
"You have been given many talents and I hope you use them to glorify Him...Don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing great! Remember we all make mistakes but we must also learn from them. You are such a delight and joy. Shine."
I guess I wasn't the only one who knew I was so hard on myself. I am trying my best these days to let my children know how much I value them. I want them to know that when weather they are coloring a picture, have helped out setting the table, or a learning to ride a bike that I think their effort is great.
Brett recently started playing the Oboe. For most people it is very hard to pick up an instrument and play...especially for the first time. He tried and tried and just couldn't even make a sound. Then, finally he did! It sounded horrible and made me cringe, but I smiled through it. Most things for Brett come so easily. He excels in school and a lot of this comes so naturally and easily for him. Not the Oboe. He practiced for hours the first couple days and even broke down at one point. This was something that was going to take some work. I don't like to use the phrase "practice makes perfect" so around here we use another one "Practice makes progress"...a phrase I had to come up with. He is seeing some progress now. To be honest it still sounds like some kind of water foul in dying upstairs between 3:30-4:00 each afternoon, but I just love his determination. As much as I was rooting for him to choose a trumpet or trombone...I will continue to encourage this new talent.
I have to remember some days that my children are little and can't always do the tasks I give them as well as I would like, but they are doing their best and trying hard. I can't wait to see the talents and gifts they have grow. So today, I will do everything I can to nurture them and encourage them to always do their best.
No comments:
Post a Comment