Well, it's officially summer here in the Laslo household. As of 12 p.m. on Thursday afternoon I now have one kindergartner, two first graders and a seventh grader. Yes, I just wrote SEVENTH GRADE!!!! Once again I feel completely caught of guard that my children are growing up so quickly.
Already today I field millions (okay, but maybe only a slight exaggeration) of questions as to what we were doing today, tomorrow, the next day, when they were going to some one's for a play date, when someone was coming to our house for a play date, when vacation was, if we could go swimming and how many days until we leave for Michigan. Yep, these will be the very conversations that I can promise you I will have daily.
Summer at the Laslo's means hours of playing our backyard, swimming & sprinklers, riding scooters, rollerblading and evening bike rides that sometimes include ice cream. It's the very time of year the kids look forward to and talk about from the end of August to May.
This year since all the kids seemed to get older on me again we decided to do something different this summer. I personally think it's brilliant. Now that the kids can read and have more time in the morning with no school I've made a new "LIST." The list is great. Now every morning when the kids wake up they simply take a look at the list. There's no need to ask me when we are having breakfast, if they can go outside, etc... The list lets them know exactly the order that the morning routine should happen. It's been great so far. The beds are being made, clothes are being put away and teeth are being brushed without me asking. The kids also know that they can't do any of the outdoor activities until their list is done.
Right now the list may be a novelty but it's working so I'm not going to mess with it. As the weeks get busier it may be tough but I think it's going to be a great discipline/learning tool for them now that they are old enough to do these things independently.
In a couple weeks the boys will have soccer camp, Madison will have Poms camp, the three middles are going to be going to an outdoor adventure camp, the oldest has a few grass-cutting jobs for the summer and Mackenzie and I plan to do plenty. Our weeks are filling up with barbeque's, picnics, sleepovers, parties, Vacation Bible School and friends but I have to say I wouldn't want it any other way. This is what summer is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment