I have a few such dates and events in my life. Every year I look forward to our wedding anniversary most. I don't often have time to sit and think about how wonderfully perfect that day was, but when it nears it's always nice to go through the pictures and notes we received. I remember thinking, as I was standing behind the doors of the sanctuary (beside the fact I had massive amounts of sweat dripping down my back,) just about how perfect that day was.
As I entered I remember seeing James face. He was standing there trying to hold back tears. He couldn't take his eyes off me. I remember smiling so much that my face began to hurt! I can still feel how tightly he held my hand and how secure I felt. I was marrying such a wonderful man. I was marrying my best friend. The rest of that day was a bit of a blur. I like to look at all the pictures because I can't recall every detail and every captured piece of happiness. All our friends and family there to celebrate us meant so much.
James and I don't usually get to do anything big surrounding the date of our actual anniversary in August. Maybe just a nice dinner & a movie. It's in the fall that we really get to celebrate. In October James & I get to sneak away for a few days up to the cottage...kid free;) It's something we look forward to every year. Just the two of us. The colors of fall are simply amazing up there. We love to fish right off the beach, try out all the cafes' and just spend time, uninterrupted, just simply to enjoying each other. As much as we love our kids, it's still very hard to come back and quickly transition back into "mom" and "dad." I'm pretty sure even though our life is crazy these days, that it's safe to say we love each other even more than we did on our wedding day.
This year was the first anniversary of the day that we lost my precious cousin Sheri to ovarian cancer. July 5th, 2008 she went to be with her heavenly father. I miss her. A couple hours after Mackenzie was born it sunk in a little deeper. She was always one of our first guests at the hospital after one of our kids was born. It was hard knowing she wasn't going to be there this time. I still remember when she came after Dylan was born. Sheri was not the biggest girl, 4'11 inches on a 'good' day, and when she held my 10lb. baby she looked almost funny. He was HUGE! I miss her smile, her laugh, her silly voices. After 30 years of service on the this earth, her work was done here. For some reason, and only God knows, he called her home.
I went to the cemetery last week. It's really beautiful there. I didn't really plan on stopping, but it had been on my mind for some time now. It was a truly beautiful day. As I drove in, I was greeted by half a dozen deer who didn't seem to mind my car rolling through. As I drove up the hill I saw a woman sitting on bench reading. What a peaceful sight. I strolled up and down the lawn looking for my aunt and cousin. I was there for about an hour. I am not the type of person who goes there to talk to them, or even to grieve. I don't even know what made me go. I just sort of sat and a flood of memories came back to me.
I remembered the time that Sheri, Mandy & I were having a sleepover. We were all in the same bed, giggling and playing when a spider decided to join us at the foot of the bed. We were only 5 or 6 at the time and I can still hear Sheri, plain as day, saying "don't worry guys, I don't think it's contagious." I think she meant poisonous, but we didn't know any better at the time. We just knew Sheri would take care of it. She was always there for me. When the world didn't seem to understand me, I knew Sheri would. Sheri was adopted, and I was too. When we were little we used to pretend we were really sisters. Now I know God had us planned to be a part of the same family all along. It's really quite amazing when you think about it. What a special person she was to not only me, but everyone that knew her. I still can't believe it's been a year already.
I love to celebrate; birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, and life in general. I love to throw big parties and entertain. I think my goal is to have everyone enjoy these things as much as I do. But, in the end, I know it's not the things or parties that make an anniversary special...it's the people you spend them with.
No comments:
Post a Comment