Last weekend I was excited to look at the calendar and see that I was about to have a Saturday "off." My friend Katherine is getting married in October and last weekend we had her bachelorette party. My first reaction was excitement! After all, I am a mom of 5 and this was a great reason to get out and have a chance to be Heidi and not Mommy;) While I love my children to death, I also enjoy some time away to get a chance to "miss" them. It doesn't happened often, but when it does it always feels great. I get to shower and DO my hair, and maybe, just maybe I get to put on something that is clean & doesn't smell like yesterday's baby.
Then came my second reaction...I feel old. I don't mean physically, but mentally. The last time I went to a bachelorette party was before I got married. I was second to the last of almost all my friends to get married so it's been a while. All the other girls in Katherine's wedding party are either newly married, single, or have one little one. I felt like I was the "old" lady. During the summer they all met up to view the dresses, go to dinner, and see Katherine's gown. I was so pregnant ready to pop I opted out of those activities because my life was simply too full at the time. I would have loved to attend, but we don't always get to do what we want. And, I don't think the dress shop would have been happy if I had tried to squeeze into one of their dresses.
So, Katherine's party was great! Good food, drinks, games and company! Although, I am quite embarrassed to admit it...I was that mom. I always looked at that mom places and vowed to never partake in her actions. But, I did. The very thought of it now makes me cringe. I caught myself at one point rambling on and on about my 5 precious children. I was looking around the room while talking endlessly about spit up, the kids shenanigans, potty training, etc. and could tell I was attracting that smile; that smile of how nice, now enough;) I had a great time with a great group of sweet girls, but soon realized I have entered a new stage of life myself. I was no longer a "young" single girl, a newlywed or even a new mom. I was a seasoned one. One who, in three short months, is about to turn thirty.... *sigh*...One who has five kids, a mortgage, and a child already nearing middle school. I know life changes are just a part of, well...life, but sometimes they go by so fast, sneak up slowly and surprise us.
I'm a little surprised. I guess I haven't had much time to stop and think about it. My days don't include a lot of free "thinking" time. Most of my thoughts these days are about dinner recipes, who's laundry needs to be done next and keeping track of a family of 7.
I will save the thoughts I have about the BIG 3-0 for another post. But for now, as I realize just what an old soccer mom I am, know that I love my life, my family and my friends just as I did before I started going gray. It's every one of those people, experiences and changes that have made me who I am today. I thank God for each and every day I have to glorify Him.
P.S. I am also looking forward to Katherine & Jeff's wedding!!!!!! It been 10 years in the making and I could not be ANY happier for my dear friend. God's timing is perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment